Saturday, March 25, 2017

Wolf's Story

Wolf's Story. Toby Forward. Illustrated by Izhar Cohen. 2005. 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: No, please. Look at me. Would I lie to you? It was the old woman who started it. I did nothing wrong. Would I? We hit it off from the beginning. Not everyone likes a wolf, do they? Look at you. You're not certain. Would you like to come and sit a little closer while I tell you about the kid? I don't bite. No? Sure? Okay. Up to you.

Premise/plot: The wolf from Little Red Riding Hood is sharing HIS side of the story with you, the reader. Will you believe his story? Is it convincing? Or is there still reasonable doubt?!

My thoughts: I really enjoyed this one. I'm not sure if it's "really really liked" or "loved." But I though the narrative was strong. I loved the wolf's voice. His perspective was fun to see. We get this perspective both from the art--the illustrations--and the text itself. I loved how conversational it was. The Wolf was trying his best to charm the reader. Now, is this charming story the whole truth, the real story? Or is he trying to con readers for his own purposes? That's up to the reader to decide HOW close they want to get to the wolf as he tells his story.

Text: 4 out of 5
Illustrations: 5 out of 5
Total: 9 out of 10

© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: