Wednesday, March 08, 2017

ABC Bunny

ABC Bunny. Wanda Gag. 1933. 40 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence:

A for Apple, big and red
B for Bunny snug a-bed
C for Crash!
D for Dash!
E for Elsewhere in a flash
F for Frog--he's fat and funny
"Looks like rain," says he to Bunny

Premise/plot: Readers get to spend the day with Bunny. The alphabet guides the adventures certainly. But it isn't as straightforward as it might have been. There is some story added in.

My thoughts: I love, love, love the illustrations. I really adore the porcupine, the squirrel, and the bunny, for example. The text was okay for me. I didn't love it, but, I didn't dislike it in any way either. It's just that as I was turning the pages, it's the illustrations that caught my interest and not the text.

Text: 3 out of 5
Illustrations: 5 out of 5
Total: 8 out of 10
© 2017 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

A said...

Adore this book. Wanda Gag is one of my favorite authors. Her books are not appreciated much today because they are black and white and ink. Children don't seem to appreciate the style very much, which is sad. I've tried using the books as read-alouds and the kids can't get past the lack of color. Unfortunate, since several of her books, most notably 'Millions of Cats' are award winners and classics. She was also a pioneer in the children's book industry, one of the first women consistently a bestseller and award-winner.

She was also died tragically, a statement on her times. She had cancer, but at the time, husbands were told the diagnosis - not the women, the patient. He decided she didn't need to know. She was never told she had cancer, never told she was dying. I'm sure the husband and doctor thought they were being compassionate not making her last days filled with anxiety and sadness, but I would want to know for the sole reason I would be able to say goodbye. In that since we have advanced tremendously.